Finding the perfect chapter books for first grade can be a challenge. You want something that isn’t to difficult to read and something that they can easily follow along with. Be sure to also check out our chapter books for second grade!
I’ve gathered up a list of some of the best chapter books for first grade to help you out on your search. Remember to pick a book from the list that you think will peak your child’s curiosity and follows along with their general interest. Each child will be different so consider that when choosing the perfect book.
If your child is still at the beginning stage of reading, you might want to sit down and use these books as read-a-louds. You can sit down with them and scroll your finger under the words as you read. Your child will be able to pick up on simple words and this will help encourage them to try and figure out other words in the books as well.
Let’s get to the list of chapter books for first grade!
1. Cam Jansen is a great book set that involves solving mysteries. Kids love the suspense in these books and can’t wait to see what happens!
2. Hey Jack! These books are full of funny stories and include great illustrations throughout the book.
3. Penny Dreadful is a great series of books that follow through a girls adventures and mishaps. Full of great illustrations to keep kids interested.
4. Nancy Drew has an updated version that has more of a modern twist. Some of the words are a bit advanced for first grade, but can be a great challenge for more experienced readers.
5. Flat Stanley is a great series of stories that will appeal to both boys and girls. Stanley Lambchop is an ordinary boy. At least he was, until the night his bulletin board fell off the wall and flattened him. At only half an inch thick, Stanley can slide under doors, mail himself across the country in an envelope, and fly like a kite!
6. Shelter Pet Squad: In this charming illustrated chapter book series by Newbery Honor author Cynthia Lord, the Shelter Pet Squad kids find the perfect homes for animals in need!
7. Fly Guy: Boy and fly meet and so begins a beautiful friendship. Er, and so begins a very funny friendship. Using hyperbole, puns, slapstick, and silly drawings, bestselling author/illustrator Tedd Arnold creates an easy reader that is full of fun.
8. Frog and Toad Are Friends: From writing letters to going swimming, telling stories to finding lost buttons, Frog and Toad are always there for each other—just as best friends should be.
9. Magic Tree House Series: Jack and his little sister Annie are just two regular kids from Frog Creek, Pennsylvania. Then they discover a mysterious tree house packed with all sorts of books…and their lives are never the same! Soon they are traveling through time and space in the magic tree house and having amazing adventures. Whether it’s watching baby dinosaurs hatch, finding a secret passage in a castle, helping a ghost queen in an Egyptian pyramid, or finding pirate treasure, readers won’t want to miss a single story!