Here’s a summertime dessert that kids will love – Shark Oreos! This recipe is bright and colorful, and will take a “bite” out of any summertime boredom. That’s because they’re made with Oreos, blue chocolate, and Airheads candy. Make them with your kids, or enjoy them at an ocean-themed birthday party. Either way, your kids will enjoy chomping on them.
Whenever you pull out these Shark Oreos, the kids will scream – not from terror – but from excitement! They’re sure to be a delight and a memorable ocean-themed treat. Here’s how you make them:
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
First gather all your ingredients, listed below. This recipe yields 6.
- 1 cookie mold
- 6 regular Oreo cookies
- 1 cup blue Wilton candy melts (from a 12 oz bag)
- 12 Wilton candy eyes
- Wilton white decorator icing
- 3 large blue Airhead candies
- 1 large red Air Head candies
- 2 large white Air Head candies
- Kitchen scissors
With all your ingredients on hand, follow the directions below to create the cookies.
1. Heat the blue candy melts in a Wilton candy warmer or double boiler pan until completely melted and smooth.
2. Pour 2 Tablespoons of the melted candy in each cookie mold.
3. Place an Oreo cookie in each mold, on top of the melted chocolate.
4. Pour additional melted blue candy on top of each cookie, up to the top of each mold. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden.
5. For the shark fins, cut out 18 (1 1/2 inch long) triangles from the blue Airheads. Set aside.
6. Cut out 6 shark mouths from the red Airheads candy. You can make them any shape you like, just be sure to make them large enough to fit the shark teeth in them.
7. Cut out 24-30 sharp teeth from the white Airheads candy. Apply a small amount of icing to the back of each tooth and place on the red mouth. Give each shark a few upper teeth and some bottom teeth. I used 4-5 teeth per mouth.
8. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Gently pop out the chilled Oreos onto the cookie sheet.
9. Pipe 2 dots of icing on each cookie and place the eyes on the icing. Press down gently.
10. Pipe icing on the cookie where each mouth goes and gently lay the teeth-filled mouths over the icing. Press down gently.
11. For the top shark fin, gather 6 of the blue triangles and gently bend the upper tip to the right. This will give the fins a slight curve. Apply icing across the bottom of each top fin and lay the top edge of the Oreos on top. Press down firmly.
12. For the 6 left fins, apply icing across the bottom of each fin and attach to the left back edge of each Oreo cookie. Press down firmly. (If you would like a curve to the fins, stretch the tip of the triangle slightly down to the left).
13. For the remaining 6 right fins, apply icing across the bottom of each fin and attach to the right back edge of each shark cookie. Press down firmly. (If you would like a curve to the fins, stretch the tip of the triangle slightly down to the right).
14. Leave the shark cookies on the cookie sheet and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes for everything to “set.”
For your next birthday party, beach or ocean themed party, or just some sweet treats for a summer day, try these Shark Oreo cookies! Kids and even the adults will find them truly “fin”-tastic!