Tips for Making Homeschooling Affordable
Just because you want to homeschool, it doesn’t mean you need to be rich to do so. Homeschooling is very affordable! It’s truly about finding it a way to make it work for your budget. Most families who want to homeschool are not looking to spend a fortune. They already have bills to pay and they are quite aware of the cost associated with homeschooling. Don’t ever let the cost of something hold you back, though. I’m often surprised at how cheaply I can find materials. There are ways to make homeschooling affordable, it just takes a little time and effort.
If you’re looking for ways to make homeschooling affordable, then you need to check out these tips.
- Garage Sales: If you have never looked at a garage sale for homeschooling materials, you need to go looking right now. You can find tons of books that people have just donated. Remember that when you’re homeschooling it does take a little bit of creativity. The books may be a little older than you wanted, but they are still usable!
- Facebook Groups: One of my favorite places to make homeschooling affordable for our family is by utilizing Facebook groups. There are groups in which you can purchase and receive homeschooling materials of all sorts. Search “homeschooling curriculum free for shipping” on Facebook! You will find all sorts of awesome materials for your homeschooling journey. Keep in mind that this isn’t the only Facebook group, but it’s one you can get started in to help find your own awesome homeschooling curriculum.
- Make Your Own Curriculum: There is always the possibility to make your own curriculum. When it comes to homeschooling, there’s no right or wrong, you get to call the shots. There is a whole curriculum designed by someone called “Easy Peasy” and she created it herself. She offers it to the general public for free. She couldn’t find what she wanted in a homeschooling curriculum, so she went outside the box and made her own. I love that because she made homeschooling affordable for herself and her family. You can do the same thing!
- Make a Budget: If I’m being honest here, it’s so easy to get off of budget when homeschooling. If you’re going to create a budget to make homeschooling affordable for you, then make sure you stay on budget. Use cash if you have to and leave the credit card behind. If you are already a homeschooling parent, then you know how easy it can be to pick out items. Homeschooling curriculum is fun to look at, play with, and purchase! It can become sort of a hobby to collect homeschooling material, so putting yourself on a budget is a must.
- eBay & Amazon: For as many years as I have been homeschooling, I am always impressed with what I can find on eBay and Amazon. It’s so nice to be able to log on and find what I’m looking for. I use these platforms a lot when I’m looking for a fun book to use in a homeschooling lesson. Plus, I just spend time looking there on a daily basis, you really never know what you will find. And I don’t want to miss anything at a great price.
Aren’t you surprised by how many ways you can make homeschooling affordable? If all else fails, attend a homeschool co-op and join other homeschoolers who are looking to make homeschooling affordable and fun.
I’d love to hear your tips on how you have made homeschooling affordable! Leave your tips in the comments section!