It’s hot outside! So, your kids want ice cream, right? How about a fun cooking activity with them – making some delicious and fun Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches? I have just the recipe for you to try. It’s so simple, your kids can do it (with your supervision of course). The pride in eating their own hand-made dessert is an experience they will truly enjoy.
Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches
These ice cream cookie sandwiches will be devoured by your little ones on a hot summer day. Perfect for little hands, and bright and colorful enough to attract any short attention span, you can bet they’ll be gone in no time!
Here are the ingredients you will need. Very simple and straightforward, nothing weird required! It’s pretty much open-a-package-and-create!
refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough
1.5 quarts of ice cream (flavor of your choice)
sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, etc.
round cookie cutters
The directions for this super simple, kid-friendly recipe are below. Let your children lead the way, and step back and watch the fun ensue when it’s time for the sprinkles or chocolate chips.
1. Let ice cream soften at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. Line a 13×9 cookie sheet (with sides) with wax paper. Once ice cream is softened, scoop it onto the cookie sheet and spread it out evenly. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer and let freeze for at least 2 hours.
2. Bake cookies according to package directions. Cool completely.
3. Pair up cookies with ones of similar size and shape and set aside on another wax paper lined cookie sheet.
4. Place sprinkles in a bowl.
5. Remove the cookie sheet of ice cream from the freezer and using a round cookie cutter that is the same size (or a tad bit larger) as the cookies, cut out circles from the sheet of ice cream.
6. Using the pairs of cookies you set aside, place one ice cream circle on the bottom side of one of the cookies from the pair and then place the other cookie on top (with the bottom of the cookie against the ice cream). Dip the sides of the cookie sandwiches into the bowl of sprinkles until all of the ice cream is coated with sprinkles. Place assembled cookie back on the cookie sheet with wax paper. Repeat until you have cut out as many ice cream circles as you can. Work quickly so the ice cream doesn’t melt too much, and/or have someone to help you.
7. Place the assembled cookies back into the freezer for two hours before serving. Serve immediately upon removing from freezer.
Try these Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches out with your children, and let me know how you decorated them! Comment below, or tag me on Instagram with your photos. I’d love to hear from you!